Monday, November 10, 2008

the handsome young man with the big vocabulary

I once dated a handsome young man and I was sorely tempted to marry him. He was beautiful and a zoologist. I thought that meant he loved animals. But it meant he loved zoos! On a "field trip" we chanced upon dragonflies -- iridescent, humming, hovering, darting, disappearing, appearing, miraculous! But he was not captivated. No. He gave me a lecture on species, phyla and related taxonomic classifications -- and I -- and I -- and I -- escaped with my life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this a dream? it's very funny and almost sad. i enjoyed it immensely.

lpd said...

not a dream ... just another weird chapter in my life :)

Samantha Stremmel said...

I loved reading this, thanks for sharing this chapter along with others. I love reading your writing. It always makes me tear up even if it is happy.

lpd said...

thank you! life is so bittersweet, tragic and silly ... i don't know what to make of it ... but ain't it grand!