Sunday, October 5, 2008

10/03/2008 notes

Sadie passed out beautiful tickets for "My Book & Heart"

Assignment #3-- post on blog and bring hard copy to class

the grim Grimms -- the kind of coincidence "poets love and logicians loathe" (Nabokov)

Urtext: "German origin; ur- means 'original' ...In the humanities, the word is often used in a metaphorical fashion to refer to a primitive, seminal, or prototypical example of an artistic genre or the basis of an ideological movement. In classical music, the term has a more literal meaning, namely the version of the music as it was created by the composer; see Urtext edition." (Wiki)

Kathasaritsagara: The ocean of the streams of stories

cognitive dissonance
Walt Whitman:
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Whitman Archive.org

John Millington Synge
Ashypelt from Sacred Text Archive

Joseph Campbell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Maria Tatar: The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales
Maurice Sendak, illustrator, Lore Segal,Randall Jarrell, translators: The Juniper Tree and Other Stories from Grimm

No comments: